HookLos Angeles or Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Job descriptionHook partners with leading brands & advertising agencies to design and develop spectacular digital content for desktops and mobile devices. We've launched 800+ projects for over eighty popular brands and have contributed to some of the most awarded campaigns of the decade. We work with clients such as Google, YouTube, Toyota, Microsoft, Best Buy, and Old Spice. Our competencies range from amazing motion, with some of the best ads on the internet, to massive digital launches such as the award winning YouTube 10th Anniversary, Smarty Pins and YouTube #DearMe. Whether it is prototyping for quick releases, or partnering with Google Creative Lab for massive product launches like the Big Web Quiz and Photowall apps for the Chromecast, we are focused on solving our clients' challenges with the most fun and exciting digital solutions on the web.
We have offices in Ann Arbor, MI and Los Angeles, CA. We are a team of dedicated developers, motion artists, designers, producers, and quality assurance people. We are passionate about our work and believe you will be too, which you can see at byhook.com.
We are looking for a Design Director to join our high-growth, creative organization. The Design Director is charged with defining and overseeing the overall growth and development of the Design Department, its members and their capabilities. The best candidate is an individual who prefers to lead by example, contributing directly to the visual development of creative concepts in order to meet and exceed client expectations. Working closely with internal and freelance design staff, the Design Director is ultimately responsible for the look-and-feel and visual quality of all creative projects.
Reporting to the Executive Creative Director, the Design Director will:
- Develop and maintain an open department strategy that accounts for growth, staff development, training materials, inter-department processes, public outreach (PR) and internal projects.
- Lead by example through direct contribution to design projects, working at the highest possible quality to deliver work that measurably achieves client metrics while blowing everyone's mind with professional grade visuals.
- Directly mentor junior design staff, working to identify new talent and shape them into autonomously productive members of a larger team.
- Work with the Production department to define Design resources, effort and scope for potential and incoming projects.
- Be a strong mentor, advocate and leader in the Creative department.
- Lead creative presentations and reviews with our clients as needed.
- Collaborate across disciplines with production, technology, and studio leads.
- Be ultimately responsible for the visual quality of creative projects.
We believe great designers are defined by a diversity in visual languages, the ability to generate compelling campaign-relevant art assets from nebulous or emotional direction, a well-developed understanding of user-experience design, and a superb attention to detail.
- Must have an intricate emotional connection to the internet (and understanding of how people use it).
- Capable of interpreting and acting on sometimes nebulous creative direction with measurable success. (concepting skills required)
- A deep understanding of interactive production methods, and how they relate to efficient comp building.
- Current with ever changing design and digital industry insights.
- Desire and proven experience in leading and mentoring other members of the design team.
- Ability to motivate and inspire.
- 8-15 years experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and client presentation skills.
- Calm and poised under pressure.
How to applyThis is a full-time position at either of our offices--Los Angeles, CA or Ann Arbor, MI. We're of a close-knit group of people who love the internet and want to create phenomenal work. Company benefits include health, dental, matching 401k, paid vacation and holidays, and more.
Qualified applicants should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, including resume and portfolio. If you do not send a portfolio, you will not be considered for this position. No agencies, please.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however only those who are considered for an interview will be contacted.
Jobs and Careers for the Creative Industry The target audience to fill your latest vacancies is surfing The FWA every day. Take advantage of one of the biggest niche audiences online by posting your job vacancies today. TheFWA.com serves over 3 million site visits per month to over 425,000 unique users from 181 countries.
Your posting will be immediately available for viewing and will stay online for 60 days. You can also promote your posting via social networking channels including Facebook and Twitter. Reach your target right away!
We have successfully run job vacancy adverts for over 500 agencies / companies from 34 countries. Most of the world's interactive agencies have used this service and so have brands including: Alienware; Burton Snowboards; Cartoon Network; Disney Online; EA; Macy’s; Microsoft; Ministry of Sound; MSN; MTV Networks; MySpace; Nike; PUMA; Rockstar Games; Sony Online Entertainment.
Submit a job