Pratt InstituteBrooklyn, New York, United States
Job descriptionPOSITION SUMMARY:
The Undergraduate Communications Design Department in the School of Art and Design at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank to begin August 2014.
Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, the Communications Design Department is comprised of Graphic Design, Illustration and Advertising areas of concentration and is the largest undergraduate department at Pratt. Candidates must understand and support the integrated nature of the curriculum and must be able to contribute to design excellence, both academic and professional, within the department. Applicants should also be willing to collaborate with other departments within the Institute and demonstrate a commitment to education, scholarly and professional work.
Our particular aim with this new appointment is to develop and strengthen the delivery of interactive design across all areas of the department. As a result we would particularly like to meet established creatives with experience in creating interactive media for professional clients and a thorough knowledge of interaction design; interactive media; and technologies for various platforms, including desktop, web, social networking, and mobile.
The successful applicant should be a multi-disciplinary, conceptual thinker who understands the growing role of interactive design across all areas of art and design and is passionate about communicating this to students. We seek candidates who have a broad vision of the future of communications design and the ability to articulate that vision and have thorough knowledge of both design theory and practice.
• Teach a range of undergraduate Communications Design studio courses (the equivalent of 12 lecture hours or 15 studio hours of courses per week each Fall and Spring semester). Course might include motion graphics, digital animation, web design, graphic design, information design, experience design, typography, design thinking and interactive marketing and strategy.
• Serve as area coordinator, providing departmental leadership and guidance to the department in the area of interactive design.
• Recommend and assist in recruiting new faculty as needed.
• Participate in the redesign of the Communications Design curriculum with emphasis on integrating interactive strategy and competencies into existing core courses as well as proposing new courses as needed to keep the curriculum responsive to the needs of the industry. Serve as an advisor to current faculty on utilizing and incorporating these competencies into their syllabi, conducting faculty workshops, as necessary.
• Contribute to developing a strong culture of design research in the department.
• Undertake independent research and creative activity. Work to build substantial creative accomplishments in your professional discipline. Publish, exhibit and design - with projects featured in trade publications or awards annuals.
• Participate in professional symposia.
• Mentor and advise the Graphic Design and Advertising student group. Communicate with and motivate students to think creatively and critically in order to be prepared for the rapidly evolving digital/media design industry.
• Participate in committee work, admissions events, and other service to the Department, School, and Institute.
• Perform all other related activities as required.
We require a terminal degree or its equivalent in interactive design, multimedia, web development, digital media design or a related field, as well as two (2) years' college-level teaching experience with some experience of curriculum development. Applicants must demonstrate teaching competency and/or experience in the following: web design, interaction design, digital media design, advertising, interactive marketing and strategy, and motion graphics. Some experience teaching and developing online coursework is a plus.
Applicants must also have significant professional experience, at least 5 years, within the communications design sector, with experience in interactive design, web media (web apps and games), cross platform (iPhone, iPad & Android) mobile application design, digital video and audio development, e-commerce and UI/UX design. An understanding of wireless technologies and the move towards web connected products preferred. Participation in professional organizations and experience in the business aspects of the design profession and /or entrepreneurship are also preferred.
SALARY is competitive and commensurate with education, credentials and experience.
How to applyReview of applications to begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit: a letter of intent that includes a statement about teaching, professional and research goals and experience; a CV; links to your your professional work and examples of student work; and the names and contact information for three professional references. Please apply via our online applicant system at http://tinyurl.com/lvlda48
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE
Jobs and Careers for the Creative Industry The target audience to fill your latest vacancies is surfing The FWA every day. Take advantage of one of the biggest niche audiences online by posting your job vacancies today. TheFWA.com serves over 3 million site visits per month to over 425,000 unique users from 181 countries.
Your posting will be immediately available for viewing and will stay online for 60 days. You can also promote your posting via social networking channels including Facebook and Twitter. Reach your target right away!
We have successfully run job vacancy adverts for over 500 agencies / companies from 34 countries. Most of the world's interactive agencies have used this service and so have brands including: Alienware; Burton Snowboards; Cartoon Network; Disney Online; EA; Macy’s; Microsoft; Ministry of Sound; MSN; MTV Networks; MySpace; Nike; PUMA; Rockstar Games; Sony Online Entertainment.
Submit a job